We really want to let you know how the BetterPoints App uses your personal information. That’s information about you. We get this information from you, or we create it when you use the BetterPoints App.
Take a look at our privacy map, or if you want more detail, read the information below.
Want to know more? Contact the privacy team at: [email protected]
This summarises the personal information we use and what we use it for.
Personal information used
What it is used for
Name, email address, country you are in, and the password you give us.
- Setting up and looking after your account
Username, profile photo
- Creating your profile, which you can use to appear in the leaderboard and allow friends to find you.
Age, whether you are a man, woman or non-binary, location, address, and postcode.
- Making sure how the app works is relevant, including making sure you see the challenges that are available to you.
- Allowing us to know who our users are for research, analytical, modelling, planning, and statistical purposes (we will call this “research” from now on).
Name, email address, content of messages.
- Sending you messages (but not marketing messages). This includes account set-up and messages about your use of the application, new challenges, your rewards and prizes.
- We might ask you to complete surveys. You don’t have to but, if you do, you may give specific give information in response to the questions we ask. This might include health related questions.
- Use of responses for research and for tailoring messaging and rewards.
Name, email address, postal address.
- Delivering your rewards or prizes.
- journey route on map;
- what modes of transport were used
- Providing you with details of your activities and journeys.
- Calculating rewards.
- Tailoring messaging and rewards.
- Using your activity details for research
- System and product development
- User account details and BetterPoints or Better Ticket balances.
- Keeping your BetterPoints and Better Tickets up to date.
What we use your personal information for
About the BetterPoints App
The BetterPoints App lets you join challenges and programmes to help you choose more active and sustainable travel options, be more active generally and find support for positive lifestyle choices.
Allowing the BetterPoints App to track you means you can learn more about your physical and travel activities. It also lets us understand and share anonymous and aggregated information about the travel habits of BetterPoints users. We use this to help local authorities and others plan for change in transport, mobility, health, wellbeing, and in climate change.
When you use the BetterPoints App, we only use your personal information for making the app work, and for collecting and using information to help with research. We never use, sell, or share your personal information, except as we have described in this statement.
Account creation and maintenance
When you first use the BetterPoints App, we ask you to provide some personal details to get you started. This includes your name, email address, year of birth, location, and postcode. We also ask you to create a secure password for accessing the BetterPoints App and protecting your account.
App availability and functions
Sorry, if you are under thirteen the BetterPoints App is not for you. You could ask your parents to use the app instead and help them join in the fun.
Availability and functionality,
When you use the BetterPoints App, you will be invited to join in activities (like surveys and tracking journeys). These will be based on where you live, your age and gender. We collect this information so you get suitable invitations and get the most out of your BetterPoints experience.
Tracking your activities
The BetterPoints App is designed to help you track your activities. This allows you to join in activities and earn BetterPoints rewards. It also allows you to better understand your travel and transport habits, as well as your physical activity.
Your activities are recorded by the BetterPoints App using location tracking technology. For each activity this works out what route you took, the distance travelled, and the activity type, like driving, taking public transport, walking or cycling. You can then see this on a map to help you see what you have been doing.
When you first register you can turn on automatic tracking. If you do, your phone will track, map, and record your activities. The personal information relating to your activities (like location information) will be used in the ways we describe in this statement.
If you have turned tracking on, you can turn it off at any time. To turn tracking off go to the top right-hand corner of the BetterPoints App and slide the tracking button to “off”. You can also turn tracking off through the settings of your device.
Sharing your activity
Your username and activity levels are displayed on our leaderboards. These can be seen by all BetterPoints’ users, but only if you have chosen to make them public.
The BetterPoints App will send you push notifications to alert you to messages in your timeline. These can be turned off at any time through the settings on your device.
Sending you Emails
These will relate to account set-up, your use of the BetterPoints App and your rewards and prizes.
Sometimes, we will also send you emails to invite you to new challenges that are available. If you do not want to receive emails inviting you to new challenges, you can let us know through the profile section of the BetterPoints App or by unsubscribing using the link in the invitation.
We will also ask you to take part in surveys using the BetterPoints App. Taking part is always optional, but if you do the information collected will be used for research and for tailoring the messaging in your timeline and the rewards you can earn.
Rewards and prizes
We want you to earn rewards or win prizes based on your activities and how you use the BetterPoints App. We use details of your activities (like date, time, duration, type of activity and route taken), and your participation in surveys, challenges, and events to provide you with rewards and prizes. The outcomes of challenges can be published in the BetterPoints timeline – but not information that will identify you (unless you have agreed to it).
Research, Modelling, Analytics, and statistics
As well as supporting your goals through programmes, challenges and events, the BetterPoints App lets us collect and use information that helps inform our research, or the research of sponsors of BetterPoints hosted programmes.
This research looks at travel behaviour, improving health and well-being, and environmental sustainability.
The personal information we use for this will only be used as part of combined information. That means we use it in a way that won’t identify you when we do our research.
Support and enquiries
If you need support or enquire about the BetterPoints App, or our services, we will use any personal information you give us only for:
- contacting you about the BetterPoints App or our services;
- providing support, including investigating any issues you are having with the BetterPoints App or our services; and
- giving you information about the BetterPoints App or our services.
To help us manage our legal rights and responsibilities we will use your personal information. We will also use your personal information as necessary to ensure we all meet the terms and conditions of the BetterPoints App.
Administration, quality, and training
We also have to run our business and manage our relationship with you, so we will use your personal information for this as well. It will also be used to make sure our services are the best they can be, and so we can provide internal training.
System and product development
We are always developing and improving our systems and products, and we use your personal information to help us do this.
Who else gets your personal information?
To help us provide our services, we share your personal information with other people who provide services to us
- technology and information services providers;
- third-party service providers; and
- professional advisers
These people can only use the personal information we share to provide their services to us or to support our delivery of our services to you. They cannot use your personal information for any other purposes. If you want to have details of who our service providers are, please contact us.
Security of personal information and where it is kept
You want your personal information to be protected. We use strict procedures and security features to make sure this happens. This includes using third party hosting services that meet the highest international standards.
Your personal data is kept in the United Kingdom or the European Union.
How long we retain your personal information
We keep your personal information until you close your account with us. Shortly after you close your account, your personal data will be deleted or permanently anonymised.
Lawful use of your personal information
We only use your personal information if we are allowed to by law or with your permission. We have provided further details below.
- App functions or information use
- Lawful basis for our use of your personal information
- Account creation and maintenance:
· You have agreed to use the BetterPoints App under our terms and conditions. This means we have a contract with you. We use your personal information to ensure we can meet our promises to you under that contract. If you do not provide the information (except where it is optional), we will not be able to provide you with a BetterPoints account, meaning you will not be able to use the BetterPoints App as intended.
Targeting app functionality (including access to the app) to specific groups or users:
· We use your personal information in this way to meet our promises to you under the contract with you. If you do not provide the information (except where it is optional), we will not be able to provide you targeted functionality, meaning you will not be able to use the BetterPoints App as intended.
Attribute information to specific groups or users for research:
· We use your personal information in this way for the purposes of BetterPoints’ “legitimate interests”. This means our use of the information in this way is fair and we have made sure it does not cause you harm.
· We use your personal information in this way to meet our promises to you under the contract with you (in this case, that we will send you notifications so you get the best experience from the BetterPoints App). We will send you notifications unless you tell us that you no longer want to receive them.
· We use your personal information in this way to meet our promises to you under the contract with you. If we cannot send you emails, it may not be possible to communicate with you.
· Where emails relate to new challenges, we use your personal information in this way for the purposes of BetterPoints’ “legitimate interests”. This means our use of the information in this way is fair and we have made sure it does not cause you harm.
In-app surveys and collation and use of responses for research:
· We use your personal information in this way for the purposes of BetterPoints’ legitimate interests or as detailed in the information we provided about the survey before you took part.
Delivering activity related rewards or prizes:
· We use your personal information in this way to meet our promises to you under the contract with you (including in respect of the terms and conditions of any particular challenge or activity).
Capturing details of your activities and journeys (through the tracking function):
· You have agreed (or consented) to the use of the tracking function of the BetterPoints App. You can change your mind by turning tracking off at any time.
Making your profile public:
You have agreed (or consented) to make your profile public. You can change your mind by making your profile private.
Joining in challenges and prize draws:
We use your personal information in this way to meet our promises to you under the contract with you (including in respect of the terms and conditions of any particular challenge or activity).
Maintenance of BetterPoints or Better Tickets:
We use your personal information in this way to meet our promises to you under the contract with you.
Reviewing your activities for research:
We use your personal information in this way for the purposes of BetterPoints legitimate interests.
Managing and responding to your enquiries:
We use your personal information in this way to meet our promises to you under the contract with you or for the purposes of BetterPoints legitimate interests (depending on the nature of the enquiry).
Managing legal rights and responsibilities:
· Where we use your personal information to manage our legal rights and responsibilities arising under the contract with you, this is to meet our promises under that contract.
· Where we use your personal information to manage our legal rights and responsibilities arising by law, we do so to comply with a legal obligation to which we are subject.
Administration, quality and training:
· We use your personal information in this way for the purposes of BetterPoints legitimate interests.
System and product development:
· We use your personal information in this way for the purposes of BetterPoints legitimate interests
What are my rights
You have personal information rights, described below. If you have any concerns about your personal information, contact our privacy team (as detailed below).
If you want to change your mind about tracking, simply turn the tracking off. However, this won’t affect our use of the personal information already collected.
Once you turn tracking off, we will not be able to collect or use information about any activities you complete afterwards unless you choose to turn the tracking back on.
When we use your personal information in way that we think is in our legitimate interest, it means that it is fair we use the personal information in that way. We also have to make sure we use your personal information in that way does not harm you.
You can always object to our use of your personal information in this way at any time.
Accessing, deleting, rectifying, and moving your personal information
You have the right to:
· access your personal information;
· correct any incorrect personal information;
· restrict how we use your personal information; and/or
· have your personal information transmitted to another data controller.
If you want to use these rights, let us know by sending us a request from within the app, by email or in writing. You may need to provide us with information to confirm who you are and complete your request. We will deal with your request within thirty days unless we are not required to complete your request. We will let you know if this is the case, where we are allowed.
You can complain about our collection and use of your personal information with your local data protection authority. BetterPoints’ authority is the UK’s Information Commissioner’s Office:
How do you contact us?
The data controller is BetterPoints Ltd
You can write to us at: 3 The Mount, Trumpsgreen Road, Virginia Water, Surrey, GU25 4EJ, United Kingdom.
If you wish to contact our data protection officer in relation to our use of your personal information, you can do so by emailing: [email protected].
If you live in the European Union, our EU representative is:
Data Protection Representative Limited (trading as DataRep)
You can contact our EU Representative by sending an email to [email protected] quoting “BetterPoints Limited” in the subject line. You can also contact them using the online webform at www.datarep.com/data-request
This Statement is effective from 23/3/2023. To see prior privacy statements, email [email protected]